Saturday, July 19, 2014

Book Review: Hopeful by Louse Bay


Expected publication: July 15th 2014




***Not suitable for younger readers due to sexual content and language.***

Guys like Joel Wentworth weren't supposed to fall in love with girls like me. He could have had his pick of the girls on campus, but somehow the laws of nature were defied and we fell crazy in love. For a short time, I thought it would be for infinity. On July 10, 2006, immediately after graduation, Joel left for New York. And, despite him wanting me to go with him, I'd refused, unwilling to disappoint my parents and risk the judgment of my friends. I hadn’t seen him again. Never even spoke to him. I've spent the last eight years working hard to put my career front and center in my life, dodging any personal complications. I have a strict no-dating policy. I've managed to piece together a reality that works for me. Until now. Now, Joel's coming back to London. And I need to get over him before he gets over here.


 

Reviewed by Karen Lee


Ava has had the same group of five friends for over 10 years. Having lived together at the university, they have all remained close as the years passed. There was one friend who went to New York to start a career, and everyone is gathering to welcome him back to London. The lost love of Ava’s life, Joel is returning.
Ava has worked long, hard hours to get to the professional level she is at. A lawyer who works the hours as she has is bound to do well. What her friends didn’t know, is that the reason she worked herself to death, is that her heart had never recovered from the heartbreak of losing Joel. He had visited London from time to time, but Ava always used work as an excuse to stay away when everyone got together. She knew she was the reason they were not together anymore, but she just couldn’t stomach the idea that he had moved on and was with someone new.
Not wanting to look pathetic and lonely, Ava goes on several blind dates hoping to make a connection, anything to get Joel off her mind. But now Joel is back and Ava realizes nothing has changed in how she feels about him. She still loves him and all the time hasn’t diminished the love she still has for this man. But should she try to fix what she broke 8 years ago and how do you go about fixing a broken heart?
This was a great read. The friends seemed like real people, people you the reader would go have drinks with. Great writing and Joel was just yummy. Loved the book, 4.5 stars!




Up All Night Kip Moore

Last Time Taylor Swift ft. Gary Lightbody

Say Something A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera

Limbo No More Alanis Morrisette

Some Other Time Jill Scott

I Miss You Kacey Musgroves

Who Knew Pink

Love Me Still Chaka Khan

What About Now Daughtry

Brave Sara Bareilles

Living Inside My Heart Bob Seger







Ruined by romantic mini-series of the seventies and eighties, I love all things romantic. There's not enough of it in real life so I'll settle for books and films. I love the rain, the West Wing, London, days when you don't have to wear make-up, being alone, being with friends, elephants and champagne.




No comments:

Post a Comment