Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Birthday Banter w/ Kari FEATURING: S.B. Alexander Part 2- Q & A





Amazing Q & A with S.B. ALEXANDER:

1. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? 
My interest in writing started at a young age after reading books by Stephen King, but it wasn’t until an English teacher in college tried to steer me into writing rather than pursuing my math degree.


2. How did you come up with the title of this book? 
I’m assuming by book you mean Dare to Love. For me, love was hard to come by as a child. After several foster homes, I never knew what it was like to be loved or to love. Yet when I did finally did open my heart, I’d gotten hurt. After that I was always protecting my heart. In addition, I’d always been challenged to do things in life, hence, the word Dare in the title.

3. Are any of your character’s experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? 
In all my books I take something from my own life. In the Dare Series there’s elements of things that have happened to me along the way and to friends. I could almost subtitle the book with Based on a True Story

4. What book(s) have influenced your life most and how?
Dale Carnegie’s, How to Win Friends & Influence People is a book everyone should read. It’s a book that teaches a person how to be successful in both their personal and professional life. It has so many driving principles to motivate a person. This world is about people’s feelings, emotions, drives, interests and the list goes on. For me, if a person is to succeed in their endeavors they need to know how to work with others. Dale drives this home in How to Win Friends & Influence People.

5. Which author would you consider a mentor or an inspiration to your own writing? 
Rachel Van Dyken is one of the authors who’ve influenced me to look at my writing as a business. Her dedication and work ethic to writing is amazing.

6. Are there any new authors that have your interest? 
I wish I could say there was, but I haven’t had time to read much.

7. Outside of friends and family, who has been your biggest supporter? 
Aside from the fans, Katey Coffing has been with me since I began writing. She’s coached me, motivated me, taught me the publishing industry, and helps me to stay on track.

8. Do you see writing as a career or is it something else entirely to you? 
Writing started out as a hobby, but it’s morphing into a career. 

9. Would you change anything in your latest book and if so, what? 
I wouldn’t change anything in Dare to Love. The story flowed so easily.

10. How do you get into writing mode? 
I usually have to prep myself the day before. Then on the day of writing, I shutoff all social media, reread the last two chapters, look at the plot outline, turn on music then write.

11. Who is your favorite author and what is it that you enjoy about their work? 
Rebecca Zanetti is one of my favorite authors. She has a unique imagination when it comes to the paranormal genre. She’s articulate. Her books are well written, and she can tell a story.

12. Do you have to travel much, if at all, concerning your book(s)? 
I haven’t travel that much for book signings or anything related to my books. With a day job it’s been hard to schedule time.

13. What was the hardest part of writing your book? 
For me, writing a book has gotten easier, but the hardest part of any book is when I stumble on writer’s block or a roadblock in the plot. In every book, but Dare to Love, I’ve had one or two scenes that have stopped me for a week before my brain unlocked. 

14. Have you ever experienced writer’s block and if so how do you overcome it? With writer’s block, I usually have to walk away from the computer and do something totally unrelated to writing. Getting outdoors helps me. Sleeping on the plot helps me. Cleaning the house can help. Most of all, finding a quiet place just to think will sometimes do the trick.

15. Since publishing this book, what has been the biggest learning experience you have had? 
With every book I learn something new. With my latest book, Dare to Love, I’d say I’d learned something new on the editing side. I always try to take away a new element in all aspects of publishing a book. In addition, marketing will always be a huge learning experience, since how an author markets a book changes and is unique to each author.

16. Throughout a story you are writing, how do you keep track of details regarding the characters, plots, or scenery? 
I track everything in an excel file format that details many things about the book, characters, scenes, plots, goals, motivations and conflicts. I also have a binder with all the essentials for each book so I can have it at my fingertips. 

17. What does a book have to possess for it to keep your interest? 
Elements of a good book that hold my interest are unique characters that I can care for, a plot with action, and good dialogue. 

18. What is or was your favorite book turned movie? (Not including 50 Shades!) 
Lord of the Rings.

19. What author have you met that you have totally fangirled/fanboyed out over? Rachel Van Dyken. I’ve met her twice, and both times I was tongued tied or just talked without taking a breath. She’s an awesome and sweet lady.

20. Do you have anything specific you want to say to your readers? 

I’m humbled, honored, and it warms my heart to know that I can make a person laugh, cry or feel with my stories. Without readers, authors wouldn’t have a place to share their stories. So, thank you to all my fans, especially everyone in Maxwell Mania. You put a smile on my face everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment