Friday, February 21, 2014

Book Review: The Lonely Girl by Gracie Wilson

See it on Goodreads



ARC provided for an honest review.

4 stars

“Can a heart that wasn’t healed to begin with be this shattered?”

Bec/Becca is a recent high school graduate who has just lost her boyfriend of four years to a tragic accident. She tries to move on, but at every turn is hit with some new tragedy through which she must walk and grow. She learns that things are not always as they appear to be, making it difficult to trust…well, anyone.

 

I liked this story. Gracie Wilson does a great job of capturing the reader’s attention and rarely lets it go. I liked Becca’s ‘voice’ as the narrator. There are unexpected twists and turns that did a great job of holding my interest throughout most of the book. Becca is a heroine that you want to root for. You want her life to get better. I’ll be honest, New Adult books are not my preferred genre, but I don’t regret reading The Lonely Girl. It was a well thought out plot with plenty of teenage angst.

The story did tend to drag a little at the end. I thought it was at the wrap up stage when two more huge tragedies occurred making me think “oh, no. Another one?” There was so much tragedy in Becca’s life, it was borderline comical. Not totally, because Gracie did a good job at making you hear Becca’s voice and I couldn’t find the actual sad stuff funny. Just the amount.

Gracie did a great job of staying in the present tense 1st POV. I know from personal experience, it’s an easy voice to slip out of and she didn’t. The writing style was good. It made me feel like I was listening to the thoughts of an eighteen-year-old girl. That being said, there were a few typos and grammar mistakes that I noticed, but nothing dramatic enough to pull me out of the story. There were a few times I was confused as to who was speaking, but it was cleared up with the next paragraph. It just would have been nice to know who was speaking before then. Although the writing needs a bit of refinement, Gracie Wilson is a good author. Her storytelling style is real and honest and kept me interested in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment